To help you learn to read critically and incorporate effective textual support, you will complete reading responses for several of the assigned readings this semester. Reading responses ask you to use direct evidence from the course readings to answer a prompting a question. This means that each reading response should include at least one quote or paraphrase from the assigned text.
Reading Responses should be uploaded as a Microsoft Word document using MLA or APA formatting (including an APA title page or MLA header) and in-text citations and a Works Cited/References page. There is no word count for these responses, but you should be thoroughly answering the question with specific evidence that is incorporated into your own writing. To do this, I recommend around 250 words, but you're welcome to write more or less if you feel like that's what you need to answer the question.
This Week's Prompt:
- Read Deborah Brandt's "Sponsors of Literacy". (Take your time; it is a fairly dense read). After reading, answer the following question:
- How does Brandt define literacy?
- What exactly are literacy sponsors? How can they be positive or negative?
- Can you think of a few sponsors of your own?
- How do you feel your prior literacy experiences and sponsors have prepared your for ENC 1101? Check out the outcomes again and include references to them in your response.
Note: do your best with the formatting and citations for now. It's important for me to see what level you're currently at, so I can tailor our formatting and citation lessons during Week 3 to best suit the class's needs.